One Small Bite at a Time

Food can create memories that will last a lifetime, not only in flavor, but also the moments they are created and shared. My dream is to be able to create these moments and memories by the experiences of my "foodie chic" lifestyle through displaying essential ingredients and stages to having success in culinary school, the tastes of local restaurants, and the sharing and creating of recipes. Similar to an amuse bouche to a meal, a dream starts small and slowly grows into extraordinary.


Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Crazy Start

I can't believe that it is already June. I have been so busy starting my new job and finishing my first class that time has flown by. I am happy to report that I was able to achieve a 4.0 in my first class and have officially applied to the culinary program. It was so fun actually enjoying what I learned and going to class everyday. Even the studying did not feel like studying! The basic information we learned was the proper way to complete a variety of knife cuts, produce a chicken stock, produce one of the mother sauces (velouté), fresh herb identification, dry herb and spice identification, and large and small equipment identification. It was a great first class to grasp some of the basics before entering the program. As much fun as it was being in the kitchen we spent a day in the bake shop baking baguettes, scones, molasses cookies, rolls, biscuits, and naan. That was my favorite day and felt natural to me which felt so good and reassuring to me deciding to go the baking and pastry route. I knew I wanted to but the feeling I got when being in the bake shop made me even more sure of it. I was also fortunate enough to be taught by one of the few master chefs in the world. He knows so much and is so passionate that made the classroom experience even more enjoyable. It is amazing to see his skills and also taste the food he makes. It was just all around an awesome experience. Work is going well too just learning more and more everyday. I have learned to make a variety of their recipes and also the business side, too. It is great having a job within the industry and I am learning a lot from the skills to what I want to do in the future. I love it so far and can't wait to continuously dive deeper into classes and learning more at work! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment